One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘McQueen's beautiful, monosyllabic, slightly smug inscrutability is exemplified in his two major roles of 1968, the millionaire thief Thomas Crown and the almost silent cop Frank Bullitt.’
- ‘And why would critics value inscrutability so highly?’
- ‘He stopped and turned back to look at her, not with a quizzical expression because he was trained not to display his emotions but with a stony face of impenetrable inscrutability.’
- ‘This kind of self-indulgent wordplay will probably delight those readers who equate inscrutability with intelligence, but it will deeply annoy those who simply want to understand.’
- ‘While these discourses appear to make sense, they in fact impart no information to the reader, who is left to marvel as the inscrutability of the cosmos.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.