One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in soccer and other sports) extra playing time allowed by a referee to compensate for time lost in dealing with injuries sustained by players.
- ‘Stradbally were always in control but conceded two bad goals going into injury time to concede a draw.’
- ‘The Greeks could find no reply after the break and even missed a penalty in injury time.’
- ‘There will be three minutes of injury time, not enough for Germany I fear.’
- ‘They looked like getting it and it was deep into lengthy injury time when the Spaniards scraped a deserved equaliser.’
- ‘I don't agree with the time wasting bit - a referee can always allow more injury time to compensate.’
- ‘Four minutes plus injury time stands between them and the second round.’
- ‘Which brings him to another question: what's the longest amount of injury time added?’
- ‘No word was available if the referee would add injury time to the end of the match.’
- ‘Last season Bolton conceded a goal in injury time in five games and it cost the club ten points.’
- ‘The youngster converted all six tries and brought down the curtain with a solo effort as the game was about to go into injury time.’
- ‘They added a second five minutes later and sealed victory with a third goal in injury time.’
- ‘England soaked up the pressure and Wilkinson was able to extend the lead further with another drop goal in injury time.’
- ‘I thought we were staring at another defeat when the whistle blew for a free kick to City deep into injury time.’
- ‘It ended a run of 14 games unbeaten and it was a sickener to concede in injury time of both halves.’
- ‘In the fifth minute of injury time Ireland won a scrum to the right of the English posts.’
- ‘But in injury time James Walshaw made the most of generous defending to bang home the winner.’
- ‘With darkness falling in interminable injury time the inevitable happened.’
- ‘His second brought the sides level as the game moved into injury time but Bath had one last trick up their sleeves.’
- ‘By the time the referee has sorted out all the pushing and shoving in the penalty box injury time is nearly over.’
- ‘The resilient Germans snatched a dramatic equaliser two minutes into injury time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.