Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[usually sentence adverb] At first.‘initially, he thought the new concept was nonsense’
at first, at the start, at the outset, at the beginning, in the beginning, to begin with, to start with, originally, in the early stages, in the first instanceView synonyms
- ‘He initially told police he had bought the victim's goods from a homeless person.’
- ‘As much as they were scared initially they were also inspired by the strength they witnessed.’
- ‘His condition was initially described as serious, but he was allowed to go home on Monday.’
- ‘Detectives initially drew a blank as no one of that name was registered missing.’
- ‘Moments of panic followed later that night when it initially appeared the ink would not come off.’
- ‘The book didn't have as much of a lasting impression on me as I had initially hoped, sadly.’
- ‘The groups had initially considered paying increased rent to cover the shortfall.’
- ‘Those who initially dismissed the whole thing as a fad are now buying the books to see what the fuss is about.’
- ‘The teenager had wanted a home birth but her partner had initially been worried.’
- ‘The crowd had initially seemed peaceful when it gathered to protest about a lack of jobs in the town.’
- ‘She had initially banned the event because of concern it would damage the grass.’
- ‘This lack of any Conservative alternative to the council tax initially puzzled me.’
- ‘I think I found it hard to like the album initially precisely because it's so varied.’
- ‘Any such problems should have been ironed out initially and not when the job is nearly complete.’
- ‘The provision was initially put in place to protect trade in neighbouring towns.’
- ‘Both skills were initially learned so that he could earn money and continue painting.’
- ‘The White House had initially planned to announce the new agency this coming autumn.’
- ‘We thought initially that it would be best for him to leave but he wanted to stay here.’
- ‘He arrived at the building to see what he initially thought was falling debris.’
- ‘The presentation had initially been planned to announce the results of the report.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.