One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A company's flotation on the stock exchange.
- ‘The electrical company is now thinking of either spinning off shares of Legrand to shareholders or placing an initial public offering of Legrand shares.’
- ‘Early in his tenure as chairman, he made the NYSE into a powerhouse for initial public offerings, grabbing business that once belonged to NASDAQ.’
- ‘Now he's planning to cash in with an initial public offering of stock in Las Vegas Sands, the entity that controls his casinos.’
- ‘This new discriminating attitude has shown up in the stock prices of two recent initial public offerings.’
- ‘That's when the bonds first hit the market, sort of like when stocks get introduced through an initial public offering.’
- ‘They are launched via an initial public offering that issues a fixed number of shares.’
- ‘A surge in mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, and brokerage activity ensued.’
- ‘As a result, only three biotech companies had gone public by May 31, compared with an average of 25 initial public offerings per quarter last year.’
- ‘It specialises in private placings, bond offerings, secondary offerings and initial public offerings.’
- ‘Given the paucity of Latin American initial public offerings in the last five years, they know their most likely exit will be selling to a local or international investor in the same line of business.’
- ‘What distinguished this offering from previous initial public offerings was that the company was not profitable.’
- ‘Sooner or later, he says, the Big Board will have to sell shares in an initial public offering and he'll make a killing.’
- ‘When stocks are soaring and initial public offerings are raking in the money, it can seem like a bull market will never end.’
- ‘The past year has seen four initial public offerings of media stocks, and three more are expected by year end.’
- ‘The Japanese market was hailed at its 2000 launch as the first link in NASDAQ's plan to span the globe with 24-hour trading and hot initial public offerings.’
- ‘A formal announcement of the initial public offering of shares on the stock market in March will likely be made in the next two weeks.’
- ‘Just a couple of years ago, initial public offerings and other equity offerings were glorious, champagne-drenched occasions.’
- ‘As investors chased initial public offerings in the late 1990s, they concocted some odd ways to gauge the prospects of companies with lots of buzz but little or no profits.’
- ‘After a year-long drought of initial public offerings in the sector, two biotech companies went public in the past three weeks, and 14 more would like to join them.’
- ‘As the stock markets fell, the window for initial public offerings shut and companies faced harsh trading conditions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.