1Relating to ingress; having the quality or character of entering.
(of a speech sound) made with an intake of air rather than an exhalation.Compare with egressive
- ‘When an affirmative ‘Yeah’ is spoken while breathing in, it is an example of ingressive speech.’
- ‘The letters c, q, and x are used for velaric ingressive stop consonants - clicks, as they are more usually known.’
- ‘The language has an impressive, even remarkable array of consonants - oral and nasal; voiced and voiceless; egressive, ingressive, ejective, and implosive.’
- 2.1(of an airflow) inward.
- ‘The velaric ingressive airstream produces speech sounds known as ‘clicks’ which occur in double articulations in some African languages, for example, Xhosa.’
- ‘The third type, clicks, use the velaric ingressive airstream mechanism, produced by rarefying a small volume of air enclosed in the mouth.’
- ‘By extension, the anterior plosive of a labial + dental ‘implosive’ would work on a dental ingressive airflow, which I believe is unattested.’
- ‘Note what it feels like as you breathe in and out, and as you speak using egressive and ingressive air.’
An ingressive sound, e.g., a click.
- ‘Vowels, consonants, ingressives, suprasegmentals, intonation, diacritics, ejectives, implosives, diphthongs, and clicks are demonstrated.’
- ‘Also, many tribes have devised special ritualistic forms of languages that use rare sounds such as ingressives or clicks; the purpose is to make the ritual language as different as possible from other forms of speech.’
- ‘Like glottalic egressives, there are typically only a few glottalic ingressives in those languages which have them, most consonants are pulmonic egressive.’
- ‘The use of ingressives has rarely been noted for English, where the feature has not been systematically investigated, apart from a 1981 study of a rural Scandinavian-settled area in the eastern United States.’
- ‘You're not doing it by creating negative pressure in the oral cavity (like with ‘ordinary’ ingressives), but drawing air into the lungs while talking.’