One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A funnel-shaped cavity or structure.
- ‘The infundibulum is a sclerotized length of the spermathecal duct that opens at its tip into the oviduct and into the bursa about a quarter of its length toward the spermatheca.’
- ‘The cuticle is shed from the infundibulum and the acetabulum simultaneously as a single unit.’
- ‘Simultaneous contraction of the meridional and radial muscles probably flattens the infundibular surface and bends the rim of the infundibulum towards the acetabulum.’
- ‘The surgeon performs lateral retraction of the junction of the infundibulum (ie, funnel-shaped passage or structure) of the gallbladder and cystic duct.’
- ‘The extension of the outer connective tissue capsule that encloses the infundibulum is thinner than the portion covering the acetabulum.’
- 1.1 The hollow stalk which connects the hypothalamus and the posterior pituitary gland.
- ‘Unlike hypothalamic gangliocytomas, also known as neuronal hamartomas, pituitary gangliocytomas are not attached to the infundibulum or hypothalamus and tend to be endocrinologically active.’
- ‘The neurohypophysis proper comprises the median eminence of the tuber cinereum, the infundibulum, the pituitary stalk, and the posterior or neural lobe of the pituitary gland.’
- ‘The radial grooves and ridges are visible on the infundibulum and the orifice that opens into the acetabulum is visible.’
- ‘It showed diffuse adipose replacement, which was transmural at the infundibulum.’
- ‘These strikingly similar findings provide additional support for the claim that the total number of spermatozoa in eggs not only reflects the abundance of spermatozoa in the infundibulum, but also that within the entire oviduct.’
Mid 16th century: from Latin, ‘funnel’, from infundere ‘pour in’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.