One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1At a taxonomic level below that of species, e.g. subspecies, variety, cultivar, or form. In botany, Latin names at this level usually require the addition of a term denoting the rank.
- ‘The known vascular flora of the Preserve consists of 538 specific and infraspecific taxa from 310 genera in 98 families.’
- ‘The Asian species are represented by three specific and two infraspecific taxa.’
- ‘Several researchers recognize the strength and reproducibility of this method at the infraspecific level.’
- ‘The present work represents the first comprehensive treatment of Alnus maritima at the infraspecific level.’
- 1.1 Occurring within a species.‘infraspecific variation’
- ‘Phylogeny, cytology, ethnobotany, conservation biology, and infraspecific taxa are all reasons why a revision of the North American species of Apios was needed.’
- ‘At the time of the last revision of the genus, Apios americana Medikus was the only described North American species and none of its six infraspecific taxa had been described.’
- ‘Perhaps Furlow lacked the quantity of data needed to resolve the infraspecific variation that exists.’
- ‘Therefore, any conclusions about infraspecific length and repeat variability, possibly also detected in a heteroplasmic state in one individual, have to await further infraspecific studies.’
- ‘Thus we considered the number of lateral costae (five or six per shell flank) in S.7 spiriferformis to be within the infraspecific variation of Sinostricklandiella robusta.’
- ‘Several infraspecific taxa have been recognized but the current classification should be regarded as tentative and further studies based on molecular data are needed.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.