One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sound waves with frequencies below the lower limit of human audibility.
- ‘This page presents examples of sounds recorded by a variety of infrasound recording systems.’
- ‘The feelings that the listeners recorded at the time are in line with anecdotal evidence of experiences in places that have infrasound.’
- ‘As a result, paranormal researchers have been looking for infrasound in haunted locations since.’
- ‘Other research has shown that infrasound around this frequency can cause nausea, fear and panic.’
- ‘It's clear that elephants, for example, probably use infrasound but it's really difficult to appreciate that or even to measure it because it's not a sensory area which we can really access very readily.’
- ‘When snow rushes down mountains, it pushes air before it and creates infrasound at frequencies below 8 Hz.’
- ‘The answer, Zuckerwar explains, is that each one generates silent infrasound - long sound waves at a frequency below 20 hertz.’
- ‘Now infrasound monitoring has re-emerged in importance due to the number of countries that may be capable of developing nuclear weapons.’
- ‘It is an established fact that sustained low intensity infrasound alters human behavior and health.’
- ‘In the meantime, I found an interesting story that claims a scientific explanation for ghostly events and feelings of unease - infrasound.’
- ‘Animals such as elephants also use infrasound to communicate over long distances or as weapons to repel foes.’
- ‘Loud infrasound in the range of 0.5 to 10 Hz is sufficient to activate the vestibular, or balance system, in the inner ear.’
- ‘Another source of infrasound is the wind passing under a loosely fitting door into an enclosed space.’
- ‘Laser weapons, isotropic radiators, infrasound, non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse generators, and high-power microwave emitters have been mentioned.’
- ‘By using infrasound to attack the gums of the teeth, the invisible personnel can loosen the victim's teeth and cause them drop out.’
- ‘Subsequent field research revealed that infrasound plays a significant role in coordinating complex elephant societies over great distances.’
- ‘It now becomes clear that prolonged exposure to man-made infrasound and ultrasound has similar effects via apparently similar physiological mechanisms.’
- ‘This was enough information to encourage us all to unleash infrasound on an audience.’
- ‘The big brother of ultrasound, infrasound means frequencies too low to be heard by the human ear.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.