One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sound waves with frequencies below the lower limit of human audibility.
- ‘This page presents examples of sounds recorded by a variety of infrasound recording systems.’
- ‘It is an established fact that sustained low intensity infrasound alters human behavior and health.’
- ‘In the meantime, I found an interesting story that claims a scientific explanation for ghostly events and feelings of unease - infrasound.’
- ‘Loud infrasound in the range of 0.5 to 10 Hz is sufficient to activate the vestibular, or balance system, in the inner ear.’
- ‘Other research has shown that infrasound around this frequency can cause nausea, fear and panic.’
- ‘It now becomes clear that prolonged exposure to man-made infrasound and ultrasound has similar effects via apparently similar physiological mechanisms.’
- ‘It's clear that elephants, for example, probably use infrasound but it's really difficult to appreciate that or even to measure it because it's not a sensory area which we can really access very readily.’
- ‘The big brother of ultrasound, infrasound means frequencies too low to be heard by the human ear.’
- ‘Subsequent field research revealed that infrasound plays a significant role in coordinating complex elephant societies over great distances.’
- ‘Animals such as elephants also use infrasound to communicate over long distances or as weapons to repel foes.’
- ‘Another source of infrasound is the wind passing under a loosely fitting door into an enclosed space.’
- ‘The feelings that the listeners recorded at the time are in line with anecdotal evidence of experiences in places that have infrasound.’
- ‘Now infrasound monitoring has re-emerged in importance due to the number of countries that may be capable of developing nuclear weapons.’
- ‘When snow rushes down mountains, it pushes air before it and creates infrasound at frequencies below 8 Hz.’
- ‘This was enough information to encourage us all to unleash infrasound on an audience.’
- ‘As a result, paranormal researchers have been looking for infrasound in haunted locations since.’
- ‘Laser weapons, isotropic radiators, infrasound, non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse generators, and high-power microwave emitters have been mentioned.’
- ‘By using infrasound to attack the gums of the teeth, the invisible personnel can loosen the victim's teeth and cause them drop out.’
- ‘The answer, Zuckerwar explains, is that each one generates silent infrasound - long sound waves at a frequency below 20 hertz.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.