Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The tracing and recovery of specific information from stored data.
- ‘This process is sometimes known as machine understanding, a multidisciplinary endeavor involving information retrieval, linguistics and artificial intelligence.’
- ‘The technologies we now use are an outgrowth of early, computerized information retrieval programs.’
- ‘These organizations had learned the hard way about information systems and information retrieval.’
- ‘The Centre long ago realized the importance of information retrieval systems on the Internet, including the distribution of in-house preprints, yearly activities and public access catalogs.’
- ‘Without intelligent indexing, a database is little better than a filesystem for information retrieval.’
information retrieval/ˌinfərˈmāSHən rəˈˌtrēvəl/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.