Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] The science of processing data for storage and retrieval; information science.
- ‘In the context of biological informatics, metadata is an interoperability issue.’
- ‘Neural networks are popular in computer science, business informatics, as well as statistics and neurology.’
- ‘His current research interests extend to bioinformatics, health informatics and smart Internet technologies.’
- ‘The biggest obstacle to the advance of medical informatics isn't the technology, it's the entrenched institutional resistance.’
- ‘His areas of expertise include medical informatics, software engineering, and human factors.’
1960s: from information + -ics, translating Russian informatika.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.