One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The science of processing data for storage and retrieval; information science.
- ‘Neural networks are popular in computer science, business informatics, as well as statistics and neurology.’
- ‘The biggest obstacle to the advance of medical informatics isn't the technology, it's the entrenched institutional resistance.’
- ‘His current research interests extend to bioinformatics, health informatics and smart Internet technologies.’
- ‘His areas of expertise include medical informatics, software engineering, and human factors.’
- ‘In the context of biological informatics, metadata is an interoperability issue.’
1960s: from information + -ics, translating Russian informatika.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.