One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relaxed, friendly, or unofficial style or nature; absence of formality.‘he enjoyed the informality of the occasion’
lack of ceremony, casualness, unceremoniousness, non-formality, unpretentiousnessView synonyms
- ‘He was well known for his unstuffy approach and informality, which was reflected in the funeral arrangements.’
- ‘Never confuse natural informality with a license for laxity.’
- ‘I strongly disagreed with her on some issues but she merited respect, and her natural popularity and her informality may also show where those of us in politics may be going wrong!’
- ‘The formal references made by this stood in stark contrast to Rhode's relative casualness and the informality of his performance.’
- ‘We should not mistake informality for inefficiency, or naturalness for sloppiness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.