Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relaxed, friendly, or unofficial style or nature; absence of formality.‘he enjoyed the informality of the occasion’
lack of ceremony, casualness, unceremoniousness, non-formality, unpretentiousnesshomeliness, cosinessease, ease of manner, naturalness, relaxedness, approachability, accessibilityView synonyms
- ‘The formal references made by this stood in stark contrast to Rhode's relative casualness and the informality of his performance.’
- ‘I strongly disagreed with her on some issues but she merited respect, and her natural popularity and her informality may also show where those of us in politics may be going wrong!’
- ‘He was well known for his unstuffy approach and informality, which was reflected in the funeral arrangements.’
- ‘Never confuse natural informality with a license for laxity.’
- ‘We should not mistake informality for inefficiency, or naturalness for sloppiness.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.