Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A very large amount of information supplied all at once, especially as background information in a narrative.‘the movie begins with a lengthy expository info dump’
- ‘Eliminating the Info Dump in dialogue will create mystery that keeps your reader riveted while strengthening the prose.’
- ‘I try not to use info dumps to convey things, although sometimes she does have to explain a little, for clarity's sake.’
- ‘Once More, With Feeling, Season Six's barnstorming musical, is in essence little more than a colossal info dump, manoeuvring every character into place for the second half of the season.’
- ‘Since an info dump is a simple explanation, with dialogue you need someone who knows the information, and someone who doesn’t.’
- ‘Be forewarned: this is a fairly extensive info-dump.’
- ‘Tolkien came close to an info-dump in the second chapter of Lord of the Rings, where he explained all the wheres and what fors of the ring.’
- ‘The first act's flashbacks - the dense, information-heavy act where we get an info dump on the world of Watchmen - focus mostly on The Comedian, and just like in the book when his funeral is over he moves out of the story, showing up rarely.’
- ‘Indeed, Niven keeps a tight rein on info dumps and story intros.’
- ‘That kind of exposition normally requires an 'info dump' guaranteed to slow the pace of any narrative.’
- ‘That sounds eerily like an info dump to me.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.