One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The complete flower head of a plant including stems, stalks, bracts, and flowers.
flower, bloom, floweretView synonyms
- ‘Each genus was further subdivided into three sections based on number of flowers per inflorescence, bract shape, size, and texture, degree of style fusion, and capsule shape.’
- ‘Indeed, shading the leaves reduces photosynthesis and carbohydrate supply to the developing inflorescences, causing flower abscission and lower yields.’
- ‘Less coherent expression was detected in the endodermis of the root elongation zone, in the stem of the young inflorescence, pollen tubes, base of axillary buds, ovules, chalazal endosperm, and fruit abscission zone.’
- ‘Flowers are generally borne solitarily in leaf axils or in inflorescences subtended by bracts, but some taxa are ebractate.’
- ‘Pistillate flowers are initiated on the lower portion of the inflorescence and staminate flowers are initiated on the distal portion.’
- 1.1 The arrangement of the flowers on a plant.
- ‘Iltis and DOEBLEY divided the Mexican annual teosintes into two subspecies on the basis of ecology and inflorescence morphology.’
- ‘The former group includes those subspecies that show evolutionary alterations in inflorescence morphologies.’
- ‘Quantitative genetic statistics for inflorescence traits reared under long days have been reported previously.’
- ‘A total of nine morphological and inflorescence traits were measured.’
- ‘However, the architectural level of a flowering unit needs to be determined for each species (e.g. inflorescence for some species, etc.).’
- ‘The morphology of the tribe is remarkably diverse, most notably in floral and inflorescence characteristics.’
- 1.2 The process of flowering.
- ‘Flowering plants had a mean of 9.5 inflorescences on 70 mostly cleistogamous spikelets.’
- ‘Thus, significant inflorescence and floral meristem activity is restored to stm null mutant plants in the absence of ULT1 function.’
- ‘Such data may explain our significant difference in fruits per inflorescence between sites.’
- ‘Level 1 is assigned to the terminal cyathium in each inflorescence.’
- ‘The numbers of flowers closed, opened and withered in every marked inflorescence were periodically recorded during the flowering period.’
Mid 18th century (denoting the arrangement of a plant's flowers): from modern Latin inflorescentia, from late Latin inflorescere ‘come into flower’, from Latin in- ‘into’ + florescere ‘begin to flower’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.