One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An intense but short-lived passion or admiration for someone or something.‘he had developed an infatuation with the girl’‘the thrill of infatuation’
passion for, love for, adoration of, desire for, fondness for, feeling for, regard for, devotion to, penchant for, preoccupation with, obsession with, fixation with, craze for, mania for, addiction toView synonyms
- ‘Thus I never followed any of these high school infatuations up.’
- ‘In Britain, we know how to nurture an ironic infatuation with signs of difference, status and style.’
- ‘Surely girls also go through one sided infatuations and get rejected.’
- ‘This volume is less obsessed with his rather absurd infatuation with the diary's editor.’
- ‘But the steady stream of allegations about her infatuations or dalliances has certainly dimmed her reputation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.