One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Avoidance of activity or exertion; laziness.‘my failure is probably due to my own indolence’
laziness, idleness, slothfulness, sloth, shiftlessness, inactivity, inaction, inertia, lifelessness, sluggishness, lethargy, languor, languidness, torpor, torpidity, slowness, dullnessView synonyms
- ‘And at this point, I'll jovially join in and roll my eyes at my own sloth and indolence.’
- ‘I quickly succumb to the languor and indolence that harks back to a more leisurely era.’
- ‘Other words suggest themselves, like indolence, laziness and the relentless pursuit of inactivity.’
- ‘First of all, fatness equals nonactivity in many people's eyes… not simply laziness, but mental inactivity, indolence, apathy.’
- ‘I wouldn't like to use the term gradual laziness to describe the deterioration my work ethic - not when words like indolence, sloth and bone-idleness will do so much better.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.