Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unable to be dissociated.‘the three fundamental and indissociable features of market capitalism’
- ‘The fight against war is indissociable from the fight against the system that breeds it, as it breeds all forms of violence.’
- ‘Here the argument is indissociable from its structure of presentation.’
- ‘Taboo-breaking and boundary-crossing become indissociable.’
- ‘Such assumptions, indissociable from a danger of arbitrary power, would have serious consequences which the court cannot overlook.’
- ‘Yet this very activity is indissociable from making our thought answerable to the world.’
- ‘The blood-spattered breeze-block wall stands as grisly testimony of the violence which, apparently, is indissociable from this family's fragile celebrations.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.