One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for reported speech
- ‘Today, they slyly tried to report indirect speech as direct speech.’
- ‘Their problem is to understand when people talk in indirect speech and use irony, idioms and metaphors because they take each sentence literally.’
- ‘There was a lot of indirect speech, and long passages of dense prose.’
- ‘It is not used in indirect speech, because a reported question is part of a statement: I asked you whether you wanted more to eat.’
- ‘Searle generally categorizes such examples as indirect speech, whereas Habermas does not count them as communicative action.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.