One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for reported speech
- ‘It is not used in indirect speech, because a reported question is part of a statement: I asked you whether you wanted more to eat.’
- ‘Their problem is to understand when people talk in indirect speech and use irony, idioms and metaphors because they take each sentence literally.’
- ‘There was a lot of indirect speech, and long passages of dense prose.’
- ‘Searle generally categorizes such examples as indirect speech, whereas Habermas does not count them as communicative action.’
- ‘Today, they slyly tried to report indirect speech as direct speech.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.