Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Signs, indications, or distinguishing marks.‘learned footnotes and other indicia of scholarship’
- ‘The Court of Appeal found the following to be sufficient indicia of threshold reliability to afford the jury a satisfactory basis for evaluating its ultimate reliability.’
- ‘Your Honours are faced with an argument that there is a tort of breach of privacy without the necessary indicia of that which is private, namely, the quality of confidentiality.’
- ‘That is why I am about to go through the various indicia which indicate that there is a limited extraterritorial effect in this legislation.’
- ‘These matters could be incidental indicia of a real partnership, but indicia of substance (partnership accounts, sharing of profits and expenses etc.) are simply not here.’
- ‘Later I suggested a number of indicia for the definition of a political crime.’
- 1.1US Markings used on address labels or bulk mail as a substitute for stamps.
- ‘With this indicia every piece of mail 1oz or less will go for $0.39 each.’
- ‘You can alter the locations and permit number on the indicias we provide to accommodate your mailing house's specifications.’
- ‘These are the indicias your printer needs to use for standard or non-profit mailings.’
- ‘There are new regulations from the United States Postal Service that may affect you if you utilize permit imprint indicias to pay for postage.’
- ‘Permit imprint indicias for international mail must be prepared in one of the formats shown in Exhibit 152.34.’
Early 17th century: plural of Latin indicium, from index, indic- informer, sign.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.