Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Any primitive corn with colorful variegated kernels, dried and used for decoration.
sweetcorn, maize, corn on the cob, indian cornView synonyms
- ‘There's popcorn for popping, flint corn for grinding into cornmeal, sweet corn for corn on the cob, and Indian corn for harvest celebrations.’
- ‘At any farmer's market you'll find decorative Indian corn with its pale yellow and dark red, brown, and black kernels, as well as rows of mums with their petals in rainbows of bright earth tones.’
- ‘We plodded and stumbled upwards for nearly an hour - now through high patches of Indian corn, now over boulders, now along stony tracks or over bare slopes - but always mounting.’
- ‘I did some experiments with Indian corn in the backyard.’
- ‘But freight rates from the United States to Southeast Asia were touching $80-100 a tonne, making Indian corn purchases economical.’
- ‘Contrast this with the typical Zapotec Indian corn field in Oaxaca, Mexico, the world center of corn diversity and corn's point of original cultivation.’
- ‘Corn snakes are named because of the similarity between their markings and the patterns of Indian corn.’
- ‘After mixing colors true to the objects, they were to paint a still life featuring Indian corn, a pumpkin and a colorful place mat.’
- ‘When we returned to the house, our master gave us each our allowance of raw Indian corn, which we pounded in a mortar and boiled in water for our suppers.’
- ‘I accent the vase with Indian corn, gourds, and artificial fall leaves.’
- ‘Growing 3 acres of Indian corn may not be feeding the world, but there's a demand for it.’
- ‘Corn stalks, and Indian corn are decorative touches that add so much to areas around your home.’
- 1.1another term for corn
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.