One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of a pair of bottle-shaped clubs swung to exercise the arms in gymnastics or to perform juggling tricks.
- ‘A session with a pair of Indian clubs would have done it nicely.’
- ‘There are also the traditional mil zourkhaneh, heavy Indian clubs with which musclemen do exercises that would wrench most people's arms from their sockets.’
- ‘During his hospitalisation, he was given sparkling water from the nearby spring at Vergeze, and exercised his arms using Indian clubs as weights.’
- ‘Disciplined athletes, the girls easily mastered the use of Indian clubs and dumbbells.’
- ‘Old manners of getting in shape seem to us today as antiquated and inefficient as using Indian clubs and medicine balls.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.