One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Sexual assault that does not involve rape.
mistreatment, maltreatment, ill treatment, ill use, misuseView synonyms
- ‘Keith was convicted of five gross indecency and three indecent assault charges at Swindon Crown Court on Tuesday.’
- ‘We do not consider that sentences of three years are adequate to reflect the gravity of these continued indecent assaults and we shall quash them as unduly lenient.’
- ‘Otherwise, indecent assault is a misdemeanor of the second degree.’
- ‘With rape, or indecent assault, the rules and the way they are observed have been changing.’
- ‘Four indecent assault charges and two rapes of patients were found not proven.’
- ‘His son, Dave, was convicted of nine indecent assaults and sentenced to community service.’
- ‘The charges were indecent assault, sexual assault, and assault causing bodily harm.’
- ‘This time the charges were rape and indecent assault, the sentence seven years.’
- ‘We interpose; he was here referring to three spent convictions for indecent assault.’
- ‘He denied one count of rape and three further offences of indecent assault.’
- ‘If a perpetrator intentionally has physical contact of a sexual nature with the victim without the victim's consent, the perpetrator can be charged with the crime of indecent assault and battery.’
- ‘There is nothing to prevent the prosecution charging indecent assault in these circumstances.’
- ‘There is abundant authority to show that such frauds as these vitiate consent both in the case of rape and in the case of indecent assault.’
- ‘In English law the offence of indecent assault is widely used as a residual offence, beneath rape and attempted rape.’
- ‘He was also found not guilty of four indecent assaults and one serious sexual offence against a third alleged victim.’
- ‘They both walked to a secluded area where the man subjected the woman to a serious indecent assault.’
- ‘A student fell to his knees and prayed after a jury cleared him on attempted rape and indecent assault charges.’
- ‘The alleged offences were rape, indecent assault and false imprisonment.’
- ‘He denies nine charges of rape, one of kidnapping, one of indecent assault and one of attempted rape.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.