Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Indecent behavior.‘a law governing indecency on cable television’
indecent behaviour, gross indecency, pornographyView synonyms
- ‘In the light of this provision, we do not accept that H has grounds for contesting the element of indecency in his conviction.’
- ‘His celebratory streak ended with arrest by police for indecency.’
- ‘Now, in terms of the broadcast indecency standard here, we are talking about viewpoints, opinions on various subjects.’
- ‘His defence was a complete denial of any indecency.’
- ‘The case concerned a headmaster who was charged with gross indecency.’
- ‘Keith was convicted of five gross indecency and three indecent assault charges at Swindon Crown Court on Tuesday.’
- ‘That case, in combination with the more recent controversy, shows why it's time to get rid of broadcast indecency law forever.’
- ‘In a few videotaped moments, the yobs commit at least three offences: public indecency, trespass and burglary.’
- ‘The term gross indecency was not statutorily defined and was to be given meaning by courts on the particular facts of each case.’
- ‘Through our bad parenting, which sets wrong examples, we have institutionalized insensitivity and indecency and made them virtues.’
- ‘It seems to us that the suggestion that there should be separate trials of the rape and indecency charges in the present case was simply unrealistic.’
- ‘He talks about the need to bring indecency laws that now cover broadcast TV to make sure they cover cable TV as well.’
- ‘The reason that some senators want indecency to stay on the air is because they themselves are indecent.’
- ‘The charges against them include public indecency, inappropriate behaviour, behaviour to the detriment of military discipline and assault.’
- ‘In 1967, he was convicted of gross indecency by Weymouth magistrates.’
- ‘It was unclear exactly how he would go about further criminalizing the indecency statutes.’
- ‘The commission has proposed no indecency fines during his five months in the chair.’
- ‘Does this display run afoul of public indecency laws?’
- ‘Ward will be charged with lewd and lascivious behaviour, public indecency and public intoxication at the Calgary courthouse on Monday.’
- ‘Congress is looking at reforming indecency laws to be much tougher on transgressors.’
- 1.1 An indecent act, gesture, or expression.
- ‘The old lady has her hand over her mouth like I have just spoken an indecency (which I guess I did).’
- ‘In the wake of the Civil War, African Americans sought out spouses and family members torn from them by the indecencies of slavery.’
- ‘They do not get into a taxi to be forced to commit indecencies on the taxi-driver.’
- ‘In 1993, any reasonable facsimile of civilization would have had me committing indecencies with the bus station tarmac.’
- ‘In despair, many seem to have passively thrown up their hands and resigned themselves to observation of these despicable indecencies as they pass by.’
- ‘There are quite serious penalties imposed on people who commits offences in relation to dead bodies ranging from unlawful burials through to indecencies or indignities to human remains.’
- ‘And those who shun the great sins and indecencies, and whenever they are angry, they forgive.’
- ‘The verses of the Sura, up to here, have referred to the indecencies in brief.’
- ‘Still, they thought this tradition was full of lies and indecencies.’
- ‘Now I have someone else to talk to besides Melinda about the indecencies of money in the modern world.’
- ‘Sun worshippers at Jomtien Beach this week were disturbed from doing the crossword after a man was observed shouting indecencies from behind an umbrella.’
- ‘In Islam, nudity is an indecency which can never be tolerated by the Islamic Haya.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.