One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for measuring the angle of inclination of something, especially from the horizontal.
- ‘Measure the steepest section with an inclinometer.’
- ‘It can easily be bundled with other instruments such as extensometers, inclinometers, rain gauges and piezometers.’
- ‘These NG series inclinometers have been used with very good results in the mining industry, food industry, bridges, cranes, agriculture machinery, process machines, transport systems and vehicles, plus many other applications as well as OEM systems.’
- ‘Horizontal movement is measured by inclinometers, and multiple-point vibrating-wire piezometers provide information on groundwater pressure.’
- ‘A nice group of levels and inclinometers were also sold.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin inclinare ‘to incline’ + -meter.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.