Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a move or shot in sports) perfectly judged; extremely accurate.‘an inch-perfect pass’‘his cross was instant and inch-perfect’
well aimed, precise, on target, unerring, deadly, lethal, sure, true, on the mark, careful, meticulous, painstaking, precisionView synonyms
- ‘Pedersen misses the target from six yards after a magical piece of footwork and inch-perfect cross from Johnson.’
- ‘Lewsey scored the second after a drive from White and an inch-perfect diagonal chip over to the Wasps man on the wing.’
- ‘You can run around here and do a half-reasonable lap time, but to be quick you have to be absolutely inch-perfect.’
- ‘Duffy's next involvement was to provide an inch-perfect cross which Sheppard headed off the post on 12 minutes.’
- ‘His towering header, from an inch-perfect Chris Billy free-kick, also signalled the opening of another vital goalscoring avenue for Andy Preece to exploit.’
- ‘Ten minutes later and another inch-perfect whipped cross from Smith found the head of Ricketts but this time he could only hit the side-netting.’
- ‘Playmaker Antonio Calderon threaded an inch-perfect ball into the unmarked Stuart Taylor, only eight yards out.’
- ‘Rather comically, he immediately turns to criticise Bogeland on the poor quality of his inch-perfect 50 yard pass.’
- ‘However the Silsden striker put the visitors ahead midway through the half with a powerful header from Holden's inch-perfect corner.’
- ‘Gary Neville's superb cross into the box found Scholes in space and his inch-perfect glancing header evaded Seaman's fingertips.’
- ‘Bergkamp sent over an inch-perfect low cross from the right flank, which was begging to be smashed into the roof of the net.’
- ‘Kaka continues to wreak havoc in the Celtic defence with his inch-perfect passes.’
- ‘Boukraa was involved in setting up Darren Henderson, and his 25-yard effort was inch-perfect, straight into the top left corner.’
- ‘Seconds later, the Galway net was billowed for the third time when Dunne hit an inch-perfect free from 40 metres.’
- ‘An inch-perfect pass to John O'Keeffe resulted in the Wicklow man bearing down on goal.’
- ‘From the left wing, Ronaldinho sends an inch-perfect cross to Maxi Lopez at the near post.’
- ‘Stephen Cooke delivered an inch-perfect free kick from the right which Liam Ridgewell met emphatically with a thumping header past the helpless Kieron Renton.’
- ‘In front of a capacity crowd of 8,000 at the Sheffield Arena, Lampkin eclipsed his rivals with a dominant display of inch-perfect riding.’
- ‘Safin has a set point at 5-4, but the Argentine bravely produces an inch-perfect drop shot to save it.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.