One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Provide with an incentive.‘it makes sense for the government to incent people to invest in research and development’
- ‘Retailers and advertisers need to learn how to incent people without incensing them.’
- ‘Obviously, they have to be incented to do that.’
- ‘But we had to find the right numbers to incent them to buy cars and to incent the dealers to sell.’
- ‘I'm all in favor of that - markets often incent innovation.’
- ‘They're doing nothing to incent growth right now when we need it.’
- ‘We're incented to do the same things.’
- ‘So, how do you incent them to do the things that don't seem right?’
- ‘It also incents borrowers to walk away from debts and serves to prevent the housing market from finding a bottom, and thereby inhibiting a sustainable recovery in home values.’
- ‘With later-term employees, they own a bit to make them feel franchised, and can be incented through promises of more.’
- ‘We can't do enough to award excellence, incent it, put a spotlight on it and let the country know how much great teaching matters.’
- ‘Because once you decide that, you can deal with this other question of how to incent the sales force.’
- ‘In addition, the analysts, who would be independent contractors, would be incented to provide research on orphaned stocks, which have little or no analyst coverage.’
- ‘They're the only people, ever, who will be incented to make sure that they get the best possible deal for their money.’
- ‘All one needs is the payment of a fee and some metric for its delivery to continue to incent the creation of content.’
- ‘Also, we have moved to a shared-goal compensation plan, in which the virtual company teams are all incented to achieve a common set of goals.’
- ‘You can't get any return on riskless securities, so the government is incenting you to go out and buy stocks.’
- ‘We incent every employee with equity, which retains our entrepreneurial culture.’
- ‘Instead of penalizing me, incent me to spend more.’
Mid 19th century: back-formation from incentive.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.