Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not suitable or proper in the circumstances.‘there are penalties for inappropriate behavior’‘it would be inappropriate for me to comment’
unsuitable, unfitting, ill-suited, unseemly, unbecoming, unprofessional, unfit, unbefitting, indecorous, improper, lacking in propriety, ungentlemanly, unladylikeincongruous, out of place, out of keeping, wrong, amiss, inapposite, inaptinexpedient, inadvisable, injudicious, ill-advised, ill-judged, ill-considered, infelicitous, unfortunate, regrettable, misguided, misplaced, ill-timed, untimely, inopportune, undue, untoward, tactless, tasteless, in bad taste, in poor taste, undesirableout of ordermalaproposView synonyms
- ‘It is green belt land and so housing development is considered inappropriate.’
- ‘It would be inappropriate if there was a group called by that name now, but words change their meaning.’
- ‘Moreover, the ubiquity of email can lead to its use in inappropriate circumstances.’
- ‘It would clearly be inappropriate to deprive either party of a proper analysis of his case.’
- ‘They said they believed it to be an inappropriate location for such a club.’
- ‘For them to even be having a platonic relationship is highly inappropriate and we are very concerned.’
- ‘He said that whether or not they were inappropriate was a matter of taste.’
- ‘We're still old fashioned enough to think salad inappropriate for rainy, chilly days.’
- ‘His use of the definite article in his sub-title is, one would argue, inappropriate.’
- ‘There are many sorts of inappropriate behaviour from which our children need protection.’
- ‘For some reason running through a shop seems to be inappropriate behaviour.’
- ‘They have experimented and pushed their own boundaries without being inappropriate.’
- ‘Congestion charging would generally be inappropriate, but could be a last resort.’
- ‘As for the park becoming a site for a school, it is absolutely inappropriate.’
- ‘In a report to the planning committee, officers say other sites in the city are inappropriate.’
- ‘Residents believe some of the sites identified are inappropriate for housing.’
- ‘Was it inappropriate to expect a small gift to show how much he missed me?’
- ‘Perhaps the aim itself was improper, inappropriate alike for artists and for human beings.’
- ‘A proper tracker for the biotechnology sector would not be inappropriate either.’
- ‘What may be a proper decision today, could be regarded as inappropriate some years from now.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.