Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not suitable or proper in the circumstances.‘there are penalties for inappropriate behavior’‘it would be inappropriate for me to comment’
unsuitable, unfitting, ill-suited, unseemly, unbecoming, unprofessional, unfit, unbefitting, indecorous, improper, lacking in propriety, ungentlemanly, unladylikeincongruous, out of place, out of keeping, wrong, amiss, inapposite, inaptinexpedient, inadvisable, injudicious, ill-advised, ill-judged, ill-considered, infelicitous, unfortunate, regrettable, misguided, misplaced, ill-timed, untimely, inopportune, undue, untoward, tactless, tasteless, in bad taste, in poor taste, undesirableout of ordermalaproposView synonyms
- ‘It would be inappropriate if there was a group called by that name now, but words change their meaning.’
- ‘We're still old fashioned enough to think salad inappropriate for rainy, chilly days.’
- ‘Perhaps the aim itself was improper, inappropriate alike for artists and for human beings.’
- ‘What may be a proper decision today, could be regarded as inappropriate some years from now.’
- ‘For some reason running through a shop seems to be inappropriate behaviour.’
- ‘He said that whether or not they were inappropriate was a matter of taste.’
- ‘Residents believe some of the sites identified are inappropriate for housing.’
- ‘Was it inappropriate to expect a small gift to show how much he missed me?’
- ‘In a report to the planning committee, officers say other sites in the city are inappropriate.’
- ‘Congestion charging would generally be inappropriate, but could be a last resort.’
- ‘His use of the definite article in his sub-title is, one would argue, inappropriate.’
- ‘They have experimented and pushed their own boundaries without being inappropriate.’
- ‘It is green belt land and so housing development is considered inappropriate.’
- ‘For them to even be having a platonic relationship is highly inappropriate and we are very concerned.’
- ‘There are many sorts of inappropriate behaviour from which our children need protection.’
- ‘As for the park becoming a site for a school, it is absolutely inappropriate.’
- ‘They said they believed it to be an inappropriate location for such a club.’
- ‘A proper tracker for the biotechnology sector would not be inappropriate either.’
- ‘Moreover, the ubiquity of email can lead to its use in inappropriate circumstances.’
- ‘It would clearly be inappropriate to deprive either party of a proper analysis of his case.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.