Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person's female lover.
girlfriend, girl, sweetheart, partner, significant other, inamorata, fiancéeView synonyms
- ‘But her main role would be as Hirschfeld's muse and playmate, his elfin inamorata, the one editor to whom he paid devoted attention.’
- ‘The inamorata of the title character in King Kong has been played by, respectively, Fay Wray, Jessica Lange and Naomi Watts.’
- ‘Predictably, in the main duet for the lovers, the young man alternately draws his inamorata to him, molding her as if she were clay in his hands, and swings her outward in sapling-in-spring shapes.’
- ‘However he kept the flame burning bright writing passionate love letters to his inamorata.’
- ‘Then they'll see that their inamoratas cannot remain faithful.’
- ‘The perfect song for the quasi-break up, if you're still hanging out with your inamorata, and aren't sure where things are going.’
- ‘Claire turns up, in love, and wanting to use Anna's apartment for an assignation with her new inamorata.’
- ‘Federico Bonelli and Inaki Urlezaga will dance the rather heroically-challenged part of Daphnis, the lover boy who languishes in a faint while his abducted inamorata risks ravishing by pirates.’
- ‘If I ever somehow miraculously find myself with an inamorata, and I (God-forbid) break up with her, ‘Just Broke Up’ will find itself on repeat in my bedroom.’
Mid 17th century: Italian, literally enamored feminine of inamorato (see inamorato).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.