One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without success or a result.‘they waited in vain for a response’
futile, useless, pointless, worthless, nugatory, to no purposeunsuccessfully, vainly, without success, to no avail, to no purpose, ineffectually, with no result, fruitlessly, profitlessly, unproductivelyfutile, useless, pointless, to no purpose, worthless, nugatoryView synonyms
- ‘The crowds waited in vain for an encore, not quite believing it was time to go home already.’
- ‘My constituents needed to know that the loss of life had not been in vain.’
- ‘My hands felt slippery, and I tried in vain to calm my nerves.’
- ‘"He tried in vain to resuscitate them but it was too late, " he said.’
- ‘She was one of hundreds of customers who were trying in vain to benefit from a giveaway deal.’
- ‘Previous efforts by the council to retain industrial use on other key sites in the city have been in vain.’
- ‘Imagine you tell her to come straight home, then you wait in vain for the sound of her key in the door.’
- ‘Staff at the prison had tried in vain to resuscitate him in his cell.’
- ‘The parish council has tried in vain to persuade another building society to open a branch in Pewsey.’
- ‘The couple suffered severe burns as they battled in vain to rescue their boys from the blaze.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.