One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without success or a result.‘they waited in vain for a response’
futile, useless, pointless, worthless, nugatory, to no purposeunsuccessfully, vainly, without success, to no avail, to no purpose, ineffectually, with no result, fruitlessly, profitlessly, unproductivelyfutile, useless, pointless, to no purpose, worthless, nugatoryView synonyms
- ‘The crowds waited in vain for an encore, not quite believing it was time to go home already.’
- ‘My hands felt slippery, and I tried in vain to calm my nerves.’
- ‘The parish council has tried in vain to persuade another building society to open a branch in Pewsey.’
- ‘"He tried in vain to resuscitate them but it was too late, " he said.’
- ‘The couple suffered severe burns as they battled in vain to rescue their boys from the blaze.’
- ‘Imagine you tell her to come straight home, then you wait in vain for the sound of her key in the door.’
- ‘Staff at the prison had tried in vain to resuscitate him in his cell.’
- ‘Previous efforts by the council to retain industrial use on other key sites in the city have been in vain.’
- ‘My constituents needed to know that the loss of life had not been in vain.’
- ‘She was one of hundreds of customers who were trying in vain to benefit from a giveaway deal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.