Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1In a vacuum.‘the hydrochloric acid was removed by evaporation in vacuo’
- ‘The mixture is concentrated in vacuo and the residue is purified by flash chromatography if necessary.’
- ‘The distribution of temperature along a thin rod or wire electrically heated in vacuo has been studied both theoretically and experimentally by several authors.’
- ‘The present invention relates to a furnace for heat treatment in vacuo, with cooling by a gas stream.’
- ‘Bulk solvent effects with IEF-PCM about the dihydrated systems almost invert the stability order found in vacuo.’
- ‘The energetics of the elementary reactions in vacuo, were calculated, using the Slater type orbital based ADF package.’
- 1.1Away from or without the normal context or environment.‘instead of dealing with individual aspects of lifestyle in vacuo, social factors are taken into account’
- ‘You still need to make the calculation in vacuo to be able to compare the results with the experimental value.’
in vacuo/ˌin ˈvakyəˌwō/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.