One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Slim and fit.
fit, fighting fit, as fit as a fiddle, in good health, in good condition, in fine fettle, aerobicizedView synonyms
- ‘It helps to flatten tummies and bumps and get you in trim.’
- ‘There was a graduated scale of different exercises, designed to keep the muscles in trim, as well as giving the heart a little exercise as well.’
- ‘I am feeling very fit and have kept in trim by bowling and training with the Australian Academy over the past few weeks.’
- ‘Such a desire to get/keep in trim results in you doing active things: gardening; going for walks; joining a gym; buying a bike.’
- ‘It will give participants an ideal opportunity to get back in trim after the Yuletide festivities.’
- ‘It's good mentally because you have to be alert the whole time and it's great physically because it really keeps your figure in trim.’
- ‘If you want to get in trim for the summer then this may be the answer.’
- ‘Once we reached our teens many girls wore corsets or corselets under their uniforms to keep their figure in trim.’
- ‘Shepherd, older brother of former European super-featherweight title contender Charles, keeps in trim by running every day on the sands close to his Silloth home.’
- ‘Mark cycles in his spare time, but has been using gym and static indoor cycling - or spinning - machines to keep him in trim during wet weather.’
- 1.1Nautical In good order.
- ‘Get your imagination in trim and conquer the art of pre-visualisation to reach the result you want to achieve.’
- ‘It was particularly distressful for the Carlow No.6 in that he was only getting back in trim following a bout of septicaemia.’
- ‘The Ballymoon concern were impressive when beating Van-Elle of Westmeath a month ago and the Burnside brigade have kept in trim since by availing of Duffy Rovers indoor facilities.’
- ‘It is a question he must ask every day as he looks in the shaving mirror to keep his designer stubble in trim.’
- ‘A personality curve can be layered over that; later, additional filters can be imposed during a show to keep the system in trim.’
- ‘In any case of tuberculosis, provide proper fuel, keep the furnace in trim, remove the clinkers.’
- ‘And behind the pristine greens are the people who keep it all in trim - the unsung heroes of the fairways’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.