One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
While one is working (used mainly of police officers, firefighters, or soldiers).
- ‘Just four years before, Connor's dad had been killed in the line of duty.’
- ‘The number of journalists killed in the line of duty rose to its highest level in nearly a decade last year.’
- ‘Servicemen and women disabled in the line of duty trust the government will provide for them.’
- ‘It has provided more than $15 million to families of military personnel lost in the line of duty.’
- ‘The Minister said 241 police officers had died in the line of duty over the last 141 years.’
- ‘It was a very emotional time for me as it was for a lot of people in the Gardaí. Two of our members had been shot dead in the line of duty.’
- ‘In the United States, in the last three months, we've lost about 56 police officers in the line of duty.’
- ‘We will not stop searching until we have accounted for every soldier, sailor, airman and Marine missing in the line of duty.’
- ‘He called on the government to review its provision of payments for soldiers injured or killed in the line of duty to prevent the need to buy private insurance.’
- ‘The organisation helps firefighters and their families who have been injured or killed in the line of duty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.