One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
immediately, at once, straight away, right away, instantaneously, suddenly, abruptly, all of a sudden, on the instant, at a stroke, forthwith, then and there, there and then, here and now, that minute, this minute, that very minute, this very minute, that instant, this instantView synonyms
- ‘At only 55 minutes, the album's twelve tracks go by in the blink of an eye.’
- ‘Human freedom has already vanished from his world, in the blink of an eye.’
- ‘He looks like a picture, frozen in time, one instant that happened in the blink of an eye, unnoticed and uncared for by the rest of the universe.’
- ‘The ball began to grow and then, suddenly, in the blink of an eye, it disappeared.’
- ‘He had come this close to death in the blink of an eye, and just as quickly it was taken away.’
- ‘Remember, women's fashion trends come and go in the blink of an eye.’
- ‘The canoe slides into the water in the blink of an eye and before you can say Jack Robinson it's twenty yards off shore.’
- ‘Richard was a little shocked to see her go from shy and demure to forthright and direct in the blink of an eye.’
- ‘Without a care in the world, he has negotiated hairpin bends at gravity-defying angles and roared past rivals in the blink of an eye.’
- ‘Dinner went by reasonably quickly, and in the blink of an eye, they were fast asleep, except for one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.