Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
To sum up; in summary.‘this interpretation does little, in sum, to add to our understanding’
in short, briefly, in brief, to put it briefly, to cut a long story short, in a word, to sum up, in a nutshell, to come to the point, in essence, in outlineView synonyms
- ‘So, in sum, if you like Musical Barbeque, you'll probably like this, and if you don't like Musical Barbeque, well, I'm not so sure I want you reading this blog, quite frankly.’
- ‘That, in sum, is the history of the American Church's relationship with the Holy See in the past 35 years.’
- ‘There are, in sum, no comforting conclusions to be drawn any where.’
- ‘So in sum: yes, the blasé reaction to Wolff's article does reflect a moderating of stances on sexual harassment, but don't gloat about it; the pendulum is still very much on the left, no matter how much you might want it to be otherwise.’
- ‘We feel him as an unwitting misfit, slightly apart, unaware of what affection really is: in sum, lonely.’
- ‘If you believe in cultural relativism, or that crime should not be followed by punishment, or that our borders should be thrown open - in sum if you oppose traditional institutions and values - you are hardly in the mainstream.’
- ‘An attachment to your own country or nation or culture, in sum, doesn't have to be chauvinist.’
- ‘In sum, the principal factors in the reduction of benefits in the coal sector were not the ones that are normally cited in dependency theory.’
- ‘In sum, rising unemployment levels are revealing the full recklessness of welfare reform.’
- ‘The dispute, in sum, turns on the Macedonian Orthodox Church right to be recognised as autocephalous, a status it unilaterally claimed for itself in 1967.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.