One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without speech or other sound.‘we finished our meal in silence’
- ‘Pupils unable to sit still in a classroom for more than five minutes will work in silence on the computers.’
- ‘So I turned back to the window, and watched in silence as the drama continued to unfold.’
- ‘Shops on the route were advised to close while the throng walked in silence or softly sang for peace.’
- ‘He would think in silence, at meals or in bed or during a walk, sometimes jotting an idea down on a piece of paper.’
- ‘We drove in silence for a while, and I made a point of sighing at every red light.’
- ‘We ate in silence except for the sound of crunching of chips and slurping of drinks.’
- ‘We both sat in silence and waited for what seemed to be about an hour for him to come out.’
- ‘Rather than seek help for bullying, they choose to keep quiet and suffer in silence.’
- ‘There are many more families who are suffering in silence because of this hidden problem.’
- ‘He eased the Fokker around and they flew in silence, each busy with his own thoughts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.