One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without speech or other sound.‘we finished our meal in silence’
- ‘He eased the Fokker around and they flew in silence, each busy with his own thoughts.’
- ‘We ate in silence except for the sound of crunching of chips and slurping of drinks.’
- ‘He would think in silence, at meals or in bed or during a walk, sometimes jotting an idea down on a piece of paper.’
- ‘Shops on the route were advised to close while the throng walked in silence or softly sang for peace.’
- ‘Rather than seek help for bullying, they choose to keep quiet and suffer in silence.’
- ‘So I turned back to the window, and watched in silence as the drama continued to unfold.’
- ‘Pupils unable to sit still in a classroom for more than five minutes will work in silence on the computers.’
- ‘We both sat in silence and waited for what seemed to be about an hour for him to come out.’
- ‘There are many more families who are suffering in silence because of this hidden problem.’
- ‘We drove in silence for a while, and I made a point of sighing at every red light.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.