One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Unused and available if required.‘the platoon that had been kept in reserve’
available, at hand, to hand, on hand, on call, ready, in readiness, for use when needed, set asideView synonyms
- ‘Having so many spare cars in reserve is one reason the crew doesn't feel stressed at the track.’
- ‘She allowed herself to hold enough stamina in reserve to finish in first place.’
- ‘Here nature is preserved not only to be consumed by tourists but kept in reserve for later industrial use.’
- ‘He said water affairs was managing water supply in a cycle that extended into next year, and wanted to keep some water in reserve.’
- ‘There are expected to be about 3,500 police on duty at today's marches with 1,000 in reserve.’
- ‘We have enough foodgrain in reserve to meet the requirements of one billion citizens.’
- ‘This would mean the land could be kept in reserve for longer term development.’
- ‘The force will have some armoured vehicles in reserve in case of difficulty.’
- ‘On the plus side at least he will have some energy in reserve.’
- ‘There are many reasons why schools may hold cash in reserve.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.