Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
instead of, as an alternative for, rather than, as a substitute for, as a replacement for, in exchange for, in lieu ofView synonyms
- ‘In place of regulations, guidance is likely to be issued to schools to follow before reaching a decision.’
- ‘In place of the Queen's crest on the front would be the 12 yellow stars of the European flag.’
- ‘In place of scientific procedure we get a confusing display of theatricality.’
- ‘In place of a glass of vintage claret, the normal refreshment was green tea at around four.’
- ‘In place of the advertised post there will be a short public information post.’
- ‘In place of a tune it has some sophisticated harmonies that complement intelligent lyrics.’
- ‘In place of high walls and legions of armed guards, security largely depended on a metal door with a padlock.’
- ‘In place of jammed highways, the city will have an emerald necklace of parkland.’
- ‘In place of traffic wardens, a team of 40 parking attendants now patrols our streets.’
- ‘In place of the spokes in all four wheels he inserted odd markings that read as blurs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.