One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In contrast or conflict.‘they found themselves in opposition to federal policy’
- ‘In many parts of the country, local groups have formed committees in opposition to the plan.’
- ‘Most hip hop emerging out of South Africa today positions itself in opposition to kwaito music.’
- ‘John too stood in opposition to the notion that credentials made a difference in matters of faith.’
- ‘So we actually have several different views that are completely in opposition to one another.’
- ‘More than 200 students rallied at the doors of the meeting in opposition to the fee increase.’
- ‘In fact, wisdom and faith are not really in opposition to one another.’
- ‘You put yourself in opposition to a number of Republicans, as well, on immigration.’
- ‘It's very easy to be in opposition to the government if your vote doesn't matter.’
- ‘He will never start a movement in opposition to those he condemns, because that would be sticking his neck out.’
- ‘I have no quarrel with people who hold personal beliefs that are in opposition to mine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.