One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In contrast or conflict.‘they found themselves in opposition to federal policy’
- ‘Most hip hop emerging out of South Africa today positions itself in opposition to kwaito music.’
- ‘In many parts of the country, local groups have formed committees in opposition to the plan.’
- ‘He will never start a movement in opposition to those he condemns, because that would be sticking his neck out.’
- ‘John too stood in opposition to the notion that credentials made a difference in matters of faith.’
- ‘More than 200 students rallied at the doors of the meeting in opposition to the fee increase.’
- ‘So we actually have several different views that are completely in opposition to one another.’
- ‘It's very easy to be in opposition to the government if your vote doesn't matter.’
- ‘I have no quarrel with people who hold personal beliefs that are in opposition to mine.’
- ‘You put yourself in opposition to a number of Republicans, as well, on immigration.’
- ‘In fact, wisdom and faith are not really in opposition to one another.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.