One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In contrast or conflict.‘they found themselves in opposition to federal policy’
- ‘Most hip hop emerging out of South Africa today positions itself in opposition to kwaito music.’
- ‘You put yourself in opposition to a number of Republicans, as well, on immigration.’
- ‘More than 200 students rallied at the doors of the meeting in opposition to the fee increase.’
- ‘It's very easy to be in opposition to the government if your vote doesn't matter.’
- ‘In many parts of the country, local groups have formed committees in opposition to the plan.’
- ‘In fact, wisdom and faith are not really in opposition to one another.’
- ‘So we actually have several different views that are completely in opposition to one another.’
- ‘He will never start a movement in opposition to those he condemns, because that would be sticking his neck out.’
- ‘John too stood in opposition to the notion that credentials made a difference in matters of faith.’
- ‘I have no quarrel with people who hold personal beliefs that are in opposition to mine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.