One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
As husband or wife.‘he asked my father for my hand in marriage’
- ‘James IV of Scotland welcomed him and gave him his cousin in marriage.’
- ‘He couldn't imagine giving his daughter in marriage to anyone below his status.’
- ‘My job was to woo Ebony, the wife of the deceased, to gain her hand in marriage.’
- ‘She takes him home and he asks her father for her hand in marriage.’
- ‘I am sorry for the silent treatment, but I was under the impression you were a duke that was coming to ask for my sister's hand in marriage.’
- ‘In two days time he would be back in Ireland and offer his hand in marriage to that beautiful young girl.’
- ‘Her father offers him her hand in marriage, and she sits uncomfortably as they joke about this.’
- ‘Nearly seventy years ago, during a visit to the falls, he asked Jenny for her hand in marriage.’
- ‘If the woodcutter finds the key and opens the door, he will win the hand of the king's daughter in marriage and all his riches.’
- ‘If I did that that would be as good as accepting him in marriage and I would never marry without love.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.