Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Basically and without regard for peripheral details; fundamentally.‘in detail the class system is complex but in essence it is simple’
basically, fundamentally, elementally, essentially, at bottom, at heart, primarily, principally, chiefly, firstly, predominantly, substantially, in substance, materiallyabove all, first of all, most of all, first and foremosteffectively, in effect, virtually, to all intents and purposes, intrinsically, inherentlyau fondat the end of the day, when all is said and done, when you get right down to itView synonyms
- ‘Football, in essence, is competitive and it is important for the health of the game that it remains so.’
- ‘To wish it were otherwise is in essence to wish that we were not physical beings at all.’
- ‘It doesn't matter who you are or what you are, in essence we all carry the same powerful feeling.’
- ‘Because in essence, power is getting other people to accept your interpretation of things.’
- ‘The rest were in essence apolitical, which made their attitude even more alarming.’
- ‘It may sound crude, but that is, in essence, the choice women are repeatedly asked to make.’
- ‘Both types of wedding are, in essence, variations on the traditional fairytale ending.’
- ‘It has been convincingly argued that nostalgia is, in essence, a state of depression.’
- ‘The geniuses that we so often read about and hear about are in essence no different from us.’
- ‘They say that the mind works, in essence, like an enormously complicated algorithm.’
- ‘I have changed my mind, for better or worse, because in essence this is a diary even though I don't want it to be.’
- ‘But, in essence there is now something bigger and more important than just being here.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.