Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Operating, especially in commerce.‘they will have to import from overseas to remain in business’
- ‘He said he would have remained in business if trade had continued to grow at the rate it was before the roadworks.’
- ‘She fails to ask whether drugs companies would remain in business if they had no patents.’
- ‘It's hard to imagine the service remaining in business as we know it in either case.’
- ‘Unless the consumer sees what he desires, the business owner will not be able to stay in business.’
- ‘He might not be able to save your sodden carpets or your fire-damaged stock, but he will be able to keep you in business.’
- ‘The fact that he remains in business is testimony to him being broadly right.’
- ‘But he is not in business just to manage resource, he is in business to police London in all its entirety.’
- ‘Those who cannot keep their customers happy do not deserve to remain in business.’
- ‘I don't think you'd ever see me in business again if I failed in this company.’
- ‘Should we help to start new businesses, or only those who are already in business?’
- 1.1informal Able to begin operations.‘if you'll contact the right people, I think we'll be in business’
- ‘When you buy a PhaseOne Package we will give you a wide format printer, now you're in business!’
- ‘You've gained entry and accepted your offer - now you're in business and the work really starts.’
- ‘So you've purchased a digital camcorder, hooked it up to your PC and now you're in business.’
- ‘Another 15 minutes of piped music, and now we're in business.’
- ‘Instantly on arrival at Balmoor an hour before kick-off there was evidence that this cup tie was in business.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.