One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
On a small scale.‘in a small way his life has been improved’
- ‘I am doing my bit for the environment, albeit in a small way.’
- ‘More than anything I want to make a difference, even in a small way.’
- ‘I'm also pledging £10 myself to make up in a small way for my abysmal failure to attract sponsorship.’
- ‘It all began in a small way when in 1939 the imminence of war led the Government to build up reserves of building materials in various parts of the country, for use following air raids.’
- ‘Sweet, and in a small way, almost life-affirming.’
- ‘The thefts started in the 1970s in a small way when Western tourists were first allowed to enter the country.’
- ‘But what if, in a small way, shopping does offer salvation?’
- ‘I am myself an employer, in a small way, and I see hundreds of CVs a year; and all of them now have so many As that the page reads like the wail of a man falling off a building.’
- ‘Even I, as a foreigner, benefitted in a small way from his goodness.’
- ‘But they say their tests prove that phones do, in a small way, affect the brain.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.