One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a critical situation; if absolutely necessary.
if necessary, with difficulty, in case of necessity, if need be, in an emergency, just possiblyView synonyms
- ‘Chimneys are the perfect habitat for these birds, although they will nest in silos, wells, air shafts, or abandoned buildings in a pinch.’
- ‘An on-board doctor could help the person out, and in a pinch, the flight could simply land somewhere quickly.’
- ‘I'm not that into cold cereal but could do that in a pinch.’
- ‘If you were in a pinch, you might sell your socket wrenches, Tupperware, and Englebert Humperdink record collection.’
- ‘Vermouth and Lemon meet these requirements nicely, although oranges, capers, Marsala also would have done in a pinch.’
- ‘Saudi Arabia produces 9 million barrels a day, and can do 11 in a pinch.’
- ‘But the data basically show that most people are willing, in a pinch, to impose higher taxes on someone else.’
- ‘But in a pinch, when the chips were really down, both have been willing to do so.’
- ‘So, now that I work for Don Graham, I regard him as family, welcome to borrow my car or $50 whenever he's in a pinch.’
- ‘If there was a unique and complex weapon that became necessary to be wield in a pinch, she was required be more skilled in it than anyone before.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.