One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In some sense; so to speak.
rather, quite, fairly, moderately, somewhat, a little, slightly, a shadeView synonyms
- ‘Friends and foes are all here, in a manner of speaking.’
- ‘But I only just got here, in a manner of speaking.’
- ‘We're celebrating the arrival of two new babies and the announcement of a third, and so too are the media, in a manner of speaking.’
- ‘It is, in a manner of speaking, sort of a test for pundits.’
- ‘He is the chief custodian of the trees, in a manner of speaking, because the power of giving permission to fell a tree rests with him.’
- ‘The drivers are off the road and, in a manner of speaking, on the march again.’
- ‘Before the start of the tournament the Asian Football Confederation promised ‘star quality’ and it has delivered - in a manner of speaking.’
- ‘Twenty years later, his widow turned down the job, although she had, in a manner of speaking, fully earned it.’
- ‘Researchers believe that by putting microcomputers into every manmade object in the world, computers could, in a manner of speaking, sense the real world.’
- ‘This was the first time she had a family of sorts, a supportive audience, in a manner of speaking.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.