Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of internal combustion engine used chiefly in aircraft, having its cylinders arranged in a row.
- ‘When did Volvo move from fours and sixes to 5-cylinder inline engines (Audi's old trademark)?’
- ‘The idea has been developed for inline engines, mainly those with four cylinders.’
- ‘Inline engines are where the big torque ratings come from.’
- ‘In the front, the P2's octagonal frame rails had to be extended to accommodate the Duratec 30 V6 engine, since Volvo uses thinner transverse-mounted inline engines.’
- ‘Conventionally built of steel tube, wood, and fabric, It had a mounted a 90-hp American Cirrus four cylinder inline engine under a hammered aluminum cowling.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.