One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A relative by marriage.
- ‘Add in grandkids, in-laws, and cousins, and it must make for a heck of a big family reunion.’
- ‘Paddy is mourned by his sister, cousins, neighbours, in-laws, relatives and friends.’
- ‘An Indian wife becomes the property of her in-laws and on her husband's death, they decide her fate.’
- ‘He is survived by his family, sisters, his in-laws, nephews and other relatives.’
- ‘She was lucky, she said, because her parents and in-laws accepted her and kept her health status a secret.’
- ‘Sympathy is also extended to his grandchildren, in-laws and all his extended family land many friends.’
- ‘However, she started to look unwell and as people challenged her over this she admitted the truth to her parents and in-laws.’
- ‘Also, the history the blood relatives relate is different from the in-laws, and this makes us suspicious.’
- ‘And nannies, in-laws and other parents can support the cause by not breaking the rules.’
- ‘Well, there's a new manual out there to help moms and dads and in-laws and even spouses.’
- ‘David would not only remember who they were from years before, but the names of their children and in-laws as well.’
- ‘However it failed to reach a decision on what to recommend on marriages involving in-laws.’
- ‘In rooms across the hall my parents and my in-laws are no doubt fast asleep, tuckered out from days of good food and fresh air.’
- ‘Deepest sympathy is tendered to his sons, daughters, in-laws and grandchildren on his passing.’
- ‘These are fathers, sons, brothers, foster-brothers, nephews, and male in-laws.’
- ‘No one understands her views on child rearing except her in-law, the American mother of her daughter's husband.’
- ‘She bought baby food for her daughter, a lantern to light her hut and clothes for her husband and in-laws.’
- ‘The mother realises her folly and wants the in-laws to stay with them forever!’
- ‘Young widows had to suffer for whole life and depend for their existence on the in-laws or own parents.’
- ‘The last thing the couple's relationship needs is a long weekend with their respective in-laws and siblings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.