One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that evokes admiration through size, quality, or skill.‘he has performed impressively in recent games’‘an impressively sized room’
- ‘Impressively, Harold's men marched from York to London, a distance of over 200 miles, in just seven days.’
- ‘Standing impressively alone in the central gallery is the partially reconstructed foyer of the Strand Palace Hotel in London.’
- ‘Oddly, this is perhaps the most "normal" role she has played in an impressively eclectic career.’
- ‘In the case of Argentina, the recovery was impressively quick.’
- ‘Most impressively, he delivers the majority of his performance through his eyes.’
- ‘The film impressively uses CGI effects to transform the bodies of its actors' flesh into something more malleable.’
- ‘The film stands up impressively given its age.’
- ‘The music tracks have been impressively restored.’
- ‘The jockey urged on the two-year-old just after the three-furlong mark and he won impressively by five lengths.’
- ‘The book is lucidly written and impressively researched.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.