Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of medicine and biology concerned with immunity.
- ‘He is an internationally recognized investigator in the areas of immunology, molecular biology, signal transduction and gene transcription.’
- ‘Apoptosis research continues and includes developmental biology, cancer research, genetics, immunology, and toxicology.’
- ‘For his breakthrough work in immunology, Ehrlich, along with Elie Metchnikoff, received the Nobel Prize in Medicine in 1908.’
- ‘The university's laboratory of clinical immunology and molecular biology is named after him.’
- ‘He is board certified in infectious diseases, allergy and immunology, and rheumatology.’
- ‘New advances in molecular epidemiology, host mucosal immunology, and antifungal treatment have, however, enlivened investigation into this common condition.’
- ‘She earned a doctoral degree in immunology and natural killer cell biology at Ohio State University.’
- ‘The introduction of hybridoma technology has opened new vistas of research in immunology, diagnosis of infectious diseases, and purification of specific antigens.’
- ‘Separate survey instruments were developed for microbiology, hematology, chemistry, immunology, and blood bank departments.’
- ‘Inoculation laid the groundwork for vaccination, immunology, and medical statistics.’
- ‘Advances in human genetics and immunobiology now provide an opportunity to capitalize on recent discoveries in basic immunology and cytokine biology.’
- ‘If you decide to undertake allergen immunology, your child may begin receiving shots containing very small doses of allergen once or twice a week.’
- ‘Entire categories such as cardiology, pulmonology, nephrology, gastroenterology and nutrition, and allergy and immunology are omitted.’
- ‘As animal trypanosomes are easy to maintain in culture and multiply rapidly, they have evolved to become the models of researchers in the field of molecular parasitology and immunology.’
- ‘He has published several research articles on immunology, parasitology, and public health.’
- ‘Sometimes I'd even start lecturing the new students present about anatomy, histology, cardiology, immunology.’
- ‘The instrument used was based on topics included in the Illinois study and updated by consulting current immunology and serology textbooks.’
- ‘Where they felt expert opinion was required, they consulted some of the most eminent experts in the field of transplantation immunology and general immunology both in Australia and overseas.’
- ‘Neurocysticercosis offers interesting perspectives for research in immunology and parasitology.’
- ‘They utilized electron microscopy, biochemistry, and immunology to identify the biological properties of various cell fractions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.