Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A technique for determining the location of an antigen (or antibody) in tissues by reaction with an antibody (or antigen) labeled with a fluorescent dye.
- ‘Paired sera were tested using immunofluorescence or enzyme immunoassay methods to establish the serologic diagnosis.’
- ‘The resulting immunofluorescence images indicated antibody binding to the membrane through an increase in the intensity of the vesicle border upon the addition of the labeled antibody.’
- ‘Spindles were detected by the indirect immunofluorescence method using antitubulin antibody.’
- ‘Cells were therefore processed for immunofluorescence staining with anti-tubulin antibodies in order to visualize spindle morphology.’
- ‘This is consistent with the uniformly distributed receptors found with immunofluorescence labeling.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.