One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Failure of the immune system to protect the body adequately from infection, due to the absence or insufficiency of some component process or substance.
- ‘Sometimes a person is born with an immunodeficiency - these are called primary immunodeficiencies.’
- ‘He did all this while managing patients with primary and secondary immunodeficiencies and allergy.’
- ‘Primary immunodeficiency diseases caused by genetic polymorphisms are now largely diagnosable with molecular probes.’
- ‘The human immunodeficiency virus attacks the immune system.’
- ‘With more than 70 disorders classified as congenital immunodeficiencies and other syndromes in which immunodeficiency is a significant component, it is somewhat overwhelming to attempt a thorough cataloging.’
- ‘Children, patients who have diabetes, or patients who have immunodeficiencies are more susceptible to gram-negative infections and may require treatment with a second- or third-generation cephalosporin.’
- ‘If such warning signs are detected early enough, doctors can sometimes successfully treat people suffering from primary immunodeficiencies.’
- ‘Dioxin, its deadly component, can cause an increased risk of cancers, immunodeficiencies, reproductive and developmental changes, nervous system problems and other health effects, according to medical experts.’
- ‘The section on primary immunodeficiencies is a particular strength.’
- ‘The internationally accepted term is now the human immunodeficiency virus.’
- ‘An international team of scientists has managed to cure a child with severe combined immunodeficiency using gene therapy.’
- ‘Furthermore, children with humoral immunodeficiencies often have infections in other sites such as ears, lung, and skin.’
- ‘Patients with humoral primary immunodeficiencies have an intact cellular immune system; thus, they are able to handle most viral and fungal pathogens, a factor that can help to distinguish these disorders clinically.’
- ‘Similarly, persons with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome are susceptible to systemic candidal infection.’
- ‘Chapter 8 further discusses immunity and immunodeficiencies, including an introduction to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.’
- ‘It is now 20 years since the immunodeficiency syndrome that came to be known as AIDS was first reported.’
- ‘Persons with comorbid conditions, such as diabetes, immunodeficiency, or impaired circulation, are at increased risk.’
- ‘Surgical excision has the potential risk of rendering a child athymic and prone for developing immune dysregulation and immunodeficiencies.’
- ‘Her human immunodeficiency virus status was negative.’
- ‘The combination regimen is used as an antiretroviral therapy for human immunodeficiency virus infection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.