One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Failure of the immune system to protect the body adequately from infection, due to the absence or insufficiency of some component process or substance.
- ‘With more than 70 disorders classified as congenital immunodeficiencies and other syndromes in which immunodeficiency is a significant component, it is somewhat overwhelming to attempt a thorough cataloging.’
- ‘An international team of scientists has managed to cure a child with severe combined immunodeficiency using gene therapy.’
- ‘It is now 20 years since the immunodeficiency syndrome that came to be known as AIDS was first reported.’
- ‘Surgical excision has the potential risk of rendering a child athymic and prone for developing immune dysregulation and immunodeficiencies.’
- ‘He did all this while managing patients with primary and secondary immunodeficiencies and allergy.’
- ‘Sometimes a person is born with an immunodeficiency - these are called primary immunodeficiencies.’
- ‘The section on primary immunodeficiencies is a particular strength.’
- ‘If such warning signs are detected early enough, doctors can sometimes successfully treat people suffering from primary immunodeficiencies.’
- ‘Children, patients who have diabetes, or patients who have immunodeficiencies are more susceptible to gram-negative infections and may require treatment with a second- or third-generation cephalosporin.’
- ‘Chapter 8 further discusses immunity and immunodeficiencies, including an introduction to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.’
- ‘Primary immunodeficiency diseases caused by genetic polymorphisms are now largely diagnosable with molecular probes.’
- ‘The combination regimen is used as an antiretroviral therapy for human immunodeficiency virus infection.’
- ‘Her human immunodeficiency virus status was negative.’
- ‘The internationally accepted term is now the human immunodeficiency virus.’
- ‘Persons with comorbid conditions, such as diabetes, immunodeficiency, or impaired circulation, are at increased risk.’
- ‘Furthermore, children with humoral immunodeficiencies often have infections in other sites such as ears, lung, and skin.’
- ‘Similarly, persons with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome are susceptible to systemic candidal infection.’
- ‘The human immunodeficiency virus attacks the immune system.’
- ‘Dioxin, its deadly component, can cause an increased risk of cancers, immunodeficiencies, reproductive and developmental changes, nervous system problems and other health effects, according to medical experts.’
- ‘Patients with humoral primary immunodeficiencies have an intact cellular immune system; thus, they are able to handle most viral and fungal pathogens, a factor that can help to distinguish these disorders clinically.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.