One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ability to live forever; eternal life.‘eating the fruit gave the gods immortality’
eternal life, everlasting life, deathlessness, everlastingness, endlessness, perpetuitytimelessness, legendary statusView synonyms
- ‘The villain achieves a kind of immortality by using a device called the Lazarus Pit to rejuvenate his aged body.’
- ‘Later, in a remarkable and rare testament to sporting immortality, he gave his name to an entire housing development.’
- ‘The leaden poems have won him immortality as the world's worst poet and now he is to be cast in bronze.’
- ‘A less driven woman might have been content with such generous helpings of immortality, but she was not that placid woman.’
- ‘No one can write a book aspiring to immortality, for it would then court both ridicule and certain mortality.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.